Finale: A Caraval Novel (Caraval, 3)

Finale: A Caraval Novel (Caraval, 3)

Paperback – May 5, 2020
512
English
1250157684
9781250157683
05 May

Welcome, welcome to Finale, the third and final book in Stephanie Garber’s #1 New York Times bestselling Caraval series!

A love worth fighting for. A dream worth dying for. An ending worth waiting for.

It’s been two months since the Fates were freed from a deck of cards, two months since Legend claimed the throne for his own, and two months since Tella discovered the boy she fell in love with doesn’t really exist.

With lives, empires, and hearts hanging in the balance, Tella must decide if she’s going to trust Legend or a former enemy. After uncovering a secret that upends her life, Scarlett will need to do the impossible. And Legend has a choice to make that will forever change and define him.

Caraval is over, but perhaps the greatest game of all has begun. There are no spectators this time: only those who will win, and those who will lose everything.

Welcome, welcome to Finale. All games must come to an end…

Reviews (398)

Disappointing conclusion to a beloved trilogy

"Every story has four parts: the beginning, the middle, the almost-ending, and the true ending. Unfortunately, not everyone gets a true ending. Most people give up at the part of the story where things are the worst, when the situation feels hopeless, but that is where hope is needed the most. Only those who persevere can find their true ending." This is definitely a review I never thought I'd be writing. I've been fangirling over the Caraval series since an arc landed in my lap in 2016, and I had no reason to believe that Finale would be any less enjoyable for me than Caraval (5 stars from me) and Legendary (4 stars from me). Unfortunately, this one just didn't work for me the way that the other two did, and instead of bashing this book, I'd like to take a few minutes to detail below WHY this book didn't work for me, so that as a reader you can decide for yourself what to think. I do encourage you, if you're a fan of the series, to pick this up for yourself and come to your own conclusion, as my opinion is likely unpopular and in the minority. Caution for minor spoilers below for the previous two books in the series. Finale picks up in the wake of where Legendary left off. Tella is still pining after Legend, yet playing coy as he visits her in her dreams, and Jacks is still in play, so we have a bonafide love triangle up until the very end of this novel. Unfortunately, this was a big part of my problem with the book. Donatella is such a strong female in the previous novels, and I felt she was reduced to a simple love interest in this final installment. Sure, she does one big thing at the end of the book, but for 99.9% of the novel, there's a slow, repetitive narrative of inner monologue and whiny dialogue that grated on me. I'll admit that this could be because I'm an adult, and this is YA fiction, but I also think other readers will pick up on this and have a hard time processing that this is the same adventurous heroine we came to love in the first two books. At the same time, Scarlett is mad at Julian because he has abandoned her for 6 weeks, and in the meantime she has been exchanging letters with the real count, her former fiance, and their correspondence has resulted in Scarlet deciding to pit the two men against each other in, yes, another competitive love triangle! Hooray for all of the love triangles! Thankfully this one doesn't last as long as the one listed above, and honestly felt like filler to make the book have a padded page count. Scarlett does play an arguably more important role in this installment, and I do applaud Garber for attempting to give this girl a strong character arc, but it felt a bit forced and politically correct. I want strong female leads as much as the next person, but a total personality change in the final book of a trilogy felt a little off for me. I think my favorite part of this book though is that we finally get a deeper look into The Fates, and while it wasn't as much as I'd hoped for, I found myself fully engaged in these sections. I loved the "history" and folklore surrounding how they were created and what role they have played, past and present, in the shaping of their fantastical world. I can't say too much about this, but Finale does hinge it's plot on one of the fates, and how this particular one ties Scarlett, Tella, and Paloma to the story. Unfortunately, I found the ending to be rushed, skimmed over, and tidy beyond all reason, which really works for some readers, but is tough for me. I'm a masochistic reader, and I want my characters to be cost something, so when everyone shows up flawlessly alright with all their dreams come true, I shake my old lady fist at the sky and wonder why I bothered reading this if no one had to survive any form of loss? Maybe I was supposed to find this in Paloma/Paradise (who, let it be known, ALSO HAD A LOVE TRIANGLE YES WE'RE UP TO THREE NOW), but her portion is so slim that I didn't really get a chance to know her. I know it sounds like I didn't like any portion of this book, but I truly did love the concept and still remain a huge fan of the series/author. Overall I found this particular installment just didn't flow with how the first two were written. This could be because this is the first book that didn't have the suspenseful backing of the mystery of Legend's identity or a game of Caraval to keep the pace racing, or maybe it's the fact that I'm not a huge fan of love triangles, slow burning, repetitive descriptions, and endings that so neat and tidy that they are beyond happily ever after. I'm definitely interested to see where the author chooses to take us next, and I sincerely wish her all the best and success in her future endeavors!

A satisfying conclusion

Scarlett and Donatella Dragna are no strangers to magic. Spirited away by a roguish sailor and her sister’s schemes, Scarlett doesn’t just play in Caraval. She wins. During the game she sees time traded as easily as coins and the dead brought back to life; she finds true love and discovers the power of a wish made in earnest. Perhaps even more importantly, in winning Caraval, Scarlett learns how to be strong after years of thinking she could settle for being safe. Tella has always been brazen, maybe even reckless. She easily barters away kisses, her sister’s stability, and is even willing to risk her own freedom if it means getting what she wants. Weeks later when Tella plays her own game of Caraval even her daring plan to unmask Caraval Master Legend may not be enough to win when the Immortal Fates return to the Meridian Empire. Long rumored to be myths, the Fates are closer to gods with the magic and the cruelty to prove it. The stakes have never been higher as the Fates try to reclaim the empire they once ruled and two sisters race to stop them. Scarlett will have to do the impossible and Tella will have to risk everything and this time it’s definitely not just a game in Finale (2019) by Stephanie Garber. Finale is the final book in Stephanie Garber's Caraval trilogy. This review contains spoilers for books one and two. If you're new to the series, start at the beginning with Caraval (which relates Scarlett's story and in many ways functions as a standalone) and Legendary (Tella's story and a direct sequel to Finale which begins two months later). This installment alternates close third person chapters following Tella and Scarlett with the return of several other favorite characters along the way. Both sisters know that anything is possible with a bit of magic and a lot of determination but even with help from Legend and Julian, it's unclear how immortal beings can be stopped--especially when the Fates' only weakness is something completely antithetical to their existence. In a series that consistently amps up the tension and the stakes, Finale is a high action, nail-biting conclusion as both sisters are forced to make to make perilous choices that will change their lives--and the Meridian Empire itself--forever. Garber's lush prose, vibrant descriptions, and, of course, swoon worthy romance serve as elegant counterpoints to the dangers that Scarlett and Tella face throughout. Finale is a satisfying conclusion and an apt farewell to the richly imagined world of Caraval and, of course, to Scarlett and Tella--our heroines who together learn the power of magic, love, and a game well-played. Possible Pairings: The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh, A Crown of Wishes by Roshani Chokshi, Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George, Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones, The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie Pope, A Darker Shade of Magic by Victoria Schwab, The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Butterfly-Inducing Ending to a Beautiful Series

5/5 Stars "Occasionally, there are minutes that get extra seconds. Moments so precious the universe stretches to make additional room for them." ~Stephanie Garber FINALE was my second most anticipated read of the year (right after KING OF SCARS) and it did not disappoint even a little bit. By page 55 my heart was thumping, and I was in a frenzy. I squealed in glee, I gnashed my teeth in anticipation, I growled in frustration. I would put the book down so I could savor it only to start twitching, desperate to pick it back up. I read it, naturally, in one sitting. I was frustrated with myself for being unable to read faster yet irritated with my need-to-know nature because I knew I would be devastated by the time the book was over and my hands were empty. Predictable. I am so, so very predictable. Because I did read it too fast, and I was upset when I had no more book. I felt like that inquisitive yet sad character in one’s mind who picks up the book and shakes its pages a little, hoping more story will fall out. Sadly, this was the end of the legend of Legend and Donatella and Scarlett. But I look back and realize that I loved every single moment of following them, which is surprising considering (in my humble opinion) it is hard to pull off a good close. This was a good close. Yet it left enough open that I thought about it and thought about it and considered reopening my fanfiction.net account for some good old fashioned wish fulfillment. Because, I don’t do spoilers here, but there was one someone I wanted to see more of. (As an aside, when you want to write fanfiction about a book, the author has done it right). The world of Caraval has been magical, but the thing that pulled me back every time were the characters. Especially Tella. Fierce, stubborn, brilliant Tella. When I read Caraval, I loved Scarlett so much I could barely contain myself. I loved her because she was something you don’t see often in YA fantasy: she was soft and cautious and agency came slowly to her. Tella, in a nutshell, is a girl like me. So when I opened up Legendary, I was nervous at first to see it was from Tella’s point of view. But then I realized Tella was amazing in a different way. Tella was the girl I want to be. And seeing them both evolve and shift and grow and change has been a complete joy. Stephanie Garber is the kind of writer I aspire to me. The kind of writer who is unapologetic and honest. Whose characters draw you back time and time again. I have no idea what is in store next for Stephanie, but whatever it is, you can be sure I’ll be lining up to get my hands on it.

Beautiful & Enchanting End to a Wonderful Series

"I think love is another type of magic. It makes everything brighter, it makes people who have it stronger, it breaks rules that aren't supposed to exist, it's infinitely valuable." Oh my heart. I'm so sad this series has come to an end. This book (series) has enchanted my heart with it magical mood-changing dresses, angsty romances, endless games and tricky bargains. Not to mention the captivating scenery. It had me so swept away, that when I would have to pause to come back to the real world, everything seems extra boring. I absolutely LOVE this series. This was a beautiful ending. Finale take off with a bang right where we left in Legendary. Which I really enjoyed but I think that fact that we got both sisters POV in this one made me love it when more. Scarlett is my fav and I missed her in Legendary. But boy do I love and adore Tella She's so feisty. Their sister bond is so special. I like that they both have their own adventures though I do wish they did a few more things together. I couldn't put this book down. I tried to pace myself but I swear the book was actually enchanted cause time moved so quickly!!! The plot was so fast paced and exciting. While I missed the actual Caraval games it was so thrilling to see how they were going to end things! And the romance!! SO FLIPPIN' good. This book constantly had me swooning with these hot, trickers bad guys. You just don't know who to trust. Julian is for sure my fav. I mean him and Scarlett from the beginning have always been the couple I rooted for the most. But for Tella I was more torn. However, I was more Team Legend, Jacks really had me second guessing myself. But the romance in this plus all the exciting magical adventures made this book absolutely fantastic. I couldn't get enough and am SO sad it's over. My only wish is that we got just a little more of an epilogue. The ending felt a little too quick. I wanted to see more of a future with both couples! This author has some of the most magical and brilliant writing that literally takes you to a whole new world. Highly recommend this series to everyone!

An interesting Finale, but not as magical as the first two

3.5 stars This was a hard one for me. There were aspects that I absolutely love and things that made me so frustrated. I have to say it's probably the slowest of all three books with a little too much repetition in certain aspects. As the previous books, I loved the magical atmosphere. Every time Legend created an illusion, or even when the Fates did something dangerous, I loved the description of the magic. The storyline was interesting and I really loved meeting all the different Fates; both their personalities and their abilities were well created. The pacing was a little varied, some parts I wanted every single detail, and some felt like there wasn't enough action or rush for the situation. I did enjoy that it did have a small bit of "Caraval"-esque to it, because there were things that needed finding and secrets to reveal. I still love the characters very much, but Tella did get on my nerves (as usual) and I wish we got even more of Scarlet. Sometimes I got confused by Tella's storyline - was she in a dream or reality? Scarlet's new identities and all that she discovers about herself was amazing and she is absolutely my favorite of the series. I also really appreciated that we seemed to get a new side of Legend and I have to say my feelings about him have changed a lot. If you love romance than you will LOVE this book. I did enjoy the romance for the most part, but a lot of it just seemed to spin in circles. There was IMMINENT DANGER in this book and horrible things were happening everywhere. Maybe it's just me, but after seeing a loved one die, does not seem like the best time for a romantic rendezvous? Both sisters are involved in love triangles which just frustrated me, because it was obvious who each truly loved. But I did appreciate that in the end, both sisters were able to look past their fears and jump in heart first. I still very much enjoyed this series. Anything with magic is going to lure me in and even though some things drove me a little nuts, the overall story was dramatic and interesting.

Not the ending this trilogy deserved

Review taken from bookish blog Literary Weaponry ~“Tonight he was smiling like a wicked prince, escaped from the stars, ready to spirit her up into the heavens.”~ Here I sit, once again, trying to come up with the words to talk about a book that was, well, just alright. The plot was alright, the characters were alright, and the ending was alright. It was just…alright. If I dislike a book it is easy to sit and describe what didn’t work for me. When you like a book, it is easy and even fun to tell others why you loved it. But when you can’t elicit more than “meh” from the experience, writing a review feels a lot like a chore. The story picks up a few months after the end of Legendary. Tella and Scarlett are living in rented rooms near the palace were Legend/Dante is set to be crowned emperor. The game of Caraval that encompassed the first two books does not exist in this story in any form which is a large departure from the plot we’ve come to recognize. Instead, the Fates have been freed from their cards (along with the girl’s mother) as well as the head honcho of the Fates who is huge jerk. Mr. Big Bad Fate wants to take over the world, as most Big Bads do, and wipe out mankind in the process. You know, no big. Scarlett is still just as boring as she was in the first book except she is more Proper Princess boring than she was before. The girl loves to pretend she is always in the right and doing the right thing and blah blah blah. Reading about her is like eating overcooked chicken, dry and lifeless. She makes one dumb decision after another while pretending that love conquers all and it is just the more annoying character trait I can possibly fathom. SPEAKING OF the “love conquers all” nonsense, that seemed to be the theme of this whole book and it bored me. Everything tied back into one character or another’s love story instead of any kind of plot and just…it was dull. I enjoy a good romance subplot, really, I do, but this was a romance novel with fantasy elements that seem to be meant only to further the romance. It got very tiring, very quickly. One thing I will never fault Garber for is her descriptions. I love how she describes things. The picture she can paint with words is vivid and flowing and I love the images it conjures in my mind. That being said, it was probably the only thing in this entire book I could say that I truly enjoyed. Before this turns into a rant, and I do feel it quickly brewing beneath the surface, let me wrap this up. This book was disappointing. The plot felt rushed, everything revolved around a love story, some characters did not get a proper end (JACKS), parts of the plot didn’t make sense, and in case I didn’t mention it EVERYTHING WAS REALLY RUSHED. This could have been a great book but almost everything I loved about Legendary had disappeared. As it is, this conclusion was okay at best. Garber is capable of better writing, she has shown that, and I will still read what she writes in the future but I must say, my expectations will be lower. ~“He was tailored suits over inked tattoos, and lies that people wanted to believe. His palace would be breathtaking in the way that only powerful things could be.”~

I have no idea what's supposed to be selling this...

Let it be known that Caraval was a good book. It was exciting, had drama, magic, mystery, etc. The second book was not nearly so good. The third installment, Finale, is worse than that. First, the only thing I enjoyed about this book, the only thing that was interesting, were the Fates. I would read an entire series dedicated to the Fates, their origins, their powers, their history, their history with each other, and their interactions with the world. They're like a magical mix of Tarot card creatures and the 13 ghosts from the 2001 movie "Thirteen Ghosts" with a little bit of the fae about them. I loved that movie, I love the fae, and I love tarot cards. I have two sets of my own. The Fates and the mythology surrounding them would be infinitely more interesting to read about than what we got in this book. What I didn't like: 1) the WHINING. Tella whined throughout this entire book. About Legend. Scarlet whined throughout almost this entire book. About Julian. Jacks whined about Tella and magic. Legend whined about not being able to love Tella. Julian whined about Scarlet. I mean, my God, so much whining. 2) I'm not really a fan of love triangles and I'm even less a fan of forced love triangles for drama's sake, and this book gave us not one, but two. Two love triangles. Shoot me. 3) the ending was way too neatly wrapped up. I like nice endings where everyone makes it out alive, but this...the entire book was building to a certain someone needing to be defeated and it was over in like two seconds. Literally. It was very anticlimactic and just kind of pointless. The main obstacle just didn't even end up being an obstacle. The main obstacle, in retrospect, was the girl's figuring out their love lives. I can admit that this book probably isn't for me. I'm an adult, I know life isn't all magic and rainbows, I like my books to be more than fluffy bunnies with happy endings, and I like my characters to be more dimensional than cardboard cut outs. This book tried to make the girls seem dynamic and interesting and it just didn't work. They are every cliche rolled into one: hung up on the men in their lives and almost unable to function without that male attention they so desperately want. I'm not sure what happened between book 1 and book 3, but I would have preferred reading about these girls were they less concerned about Legend and Julian and more concerned with taking matters into their own hands and conquering. They tried to do this, but it just came across as false. Too little, too late, ya know? This last book also sets up a possible spin-off, and I am pretty sure I won't be checking that out.

A wonderful end to a wonderful series

First, before I get into my review, If you haven’t read the first book in this series, Caraval, and its sequel, Legendary, stop reading here! This series definitely can’t be read out of order, and reading past this warning will definitely spoil things for you! Now, onto the good stuff! I think Finale was probably my most anticipated book of 2019! If you’ve been following my blog for a while, you probably already know that I fell absolutely in love with Caraval and Legendary, and have been eagerly awaiting the conclusion to the trilogy! Finale is told from both Tella and Scarlett’s point of views (but mostly Tella’s), which I loved. Both women were part of the same larger plot-line, while also maintaining their separate storylines, largely involving their love interests. I felt like my emotions were on a roller coaster while I was reading the book – neither love story was easy, and I felt so much love, pain, hope, and disappointment in reading the book until each story was resolved. As usual, Garber weaves complex stories with beautifully descriptive words. Her writing style is so unique, and I find it so pleasing to read. I absolutely get lost in the story, and was utterly consumed by the book. When I wasn’t reading the book, I spent my time wishing I was, and thinking about the story and how it would end. Most of the book is spent building up to the resolution, and even with 5% of the book left, I was still trying to piece together how she’d pull off the resolution! That said, I love how the book ended. Our storylines were resolved, but open enough for a sequel, though that might just be my wishful thinking 😉 Finale is full of themes of love, loss, betrayal, sacrifice, and independence. It’s full of action and scheming from beginning to end, and I couldn’t get enough of it. All in all, I absolutely loved the book and cannot WAIT to see what else Garber writes in the future. If you’ve read and loved the first two books in the trilogy, you wont want to miss this one! I have a feeling it’s one that everyone will be talking about this summer.

A thrilling end to a magical and immersive series

As I read about the Caraval series and people around me rave about it, I had a feeling it would be something I would like. And I was correct. It’s become one of my favorite book series, with the magical immersion, the twists and turns, the characters, it feels like one of those stories you don’t want to end, but sadly, all games must end. But Stephanie Garber brings us yet another immersive magical adventure where we discover the true meaning of love and gripping from start to finish. While the first two books dealt with different iterations of Caraval, Finale drops the game and gives us a new plot, which deals with a greater threat that was hinted in Legendary. It builds on the first two books and keeps the momentum going the entire way through with a great pace (though there isn’t as much of a ticking clock, it’s still there), not meandering with throwaway deviations. Everything meant something in building on the story and the characters. Many times, I complain in reviews about unneeded love triangles and romance shoehorning (this happens a lot in YA), but it’s usually because in those cases, the romance detracts from the story and doesn’t add much outside of extra drama and shipping fuel, and many times, it feels predictable. Not the case here. Since love and what it means is a major theme of the series and this installment especially, the love triangles and added romance element enhances this quite a bit. Scarlett and Donatella’s journey is about discovering what love really is, romantic and otherwise, and with some aspects that get revealed here, it’s more important than ever to know where they stand on love and to get their true ending, instead of just their almost ending. Even the cover drives the theme home. We get the PoVs of both Dragna sisters this time around, and it’s switched off well, where it doesn’t feel like arbitrary cut offs like some other books I’ve read. It focuses the most on the sisters’ character growth since they left their father’s mansion. What does it mean to live and love? The relationships between each other and those they met on this journey? I love watching their growth, especially Donatella (but then again, she’s my favorite). Some of the revelations blew me away as well. My heart swelled for the sisters and how they have grown in just a few months time. Three books in and the world building still surprises me, with the little bits and pieces throughout and the big plot relevant aspects. Again, it feels like a real character and a world I don’t want to leave (outside of the parts where there’s great danger a foot). While I didn’t mention this part on the previous reviews, I do love the magic system where it feels like a deal with the devil type of thing, where nothing is free, and that it hasn’t deviated away from that path. Magic is mysterious and intriguing still. Again, Garber’s prose brings an extra layer of richness and immersion, while being easy to read, and now it brings on the emotional intensity on certain places, especially in the last few chapters. I also laughed a few times, which helped with some of the intensity in a lot of the story. The climax was intense and satisfying, with some unexpected twists. I loved the extras that came in the edition I had, and apparently, there might be more Caraval to come? Even if it’s not coming (and while the story ends with the main plot wrapped up, there’s lots of things to explore in the world), I won’t be forgetting this ride for a very long time and I look forward to what Garber has in store next.

Partially Satisfying, Partially Disappointing

This book sits somewhere between a 3.5 and a 4 for me. I expected so much more from this book than what I got. Some parts were incredible and explosive, but the majority was just fine... I'll start with a couple of notes I wrote down while reading this: • Why is Legend so charming! dangit! • Yes, Julian! GO OFF I'll first start with Legend. Wow. He just...wow. Why is he so charming? How is he so charming? I feel so in love with him in this book. And for that, I am disappointed in myself. Julian though...We didn't see much of him in the second book and I somehow forgot how sweet and kind and completely in love with Scarlett he is. This book reminded me how wonderful he is and there were so many moments that I just had to sigh in complete content-ness at him. To sum up this paragraph, I love Julian and Legend. Moving on, I was starting to feel like Tella had a bigger role in this series than Scarlett did, but this book really evened out their roles for me. I felt like they were in things together and both had important jobs that needed to be accomplished. Now, onto some of the less satisfactory parts. Garber has a way of making every detail seem important. It's only once I get to the end that I realize how much was fluff and how little was actually needed. I'm not sure if I like this or not. On one hand, it makes me question everything, which is nice and nerve-wracking. On the other hand, why the heck is it included? Also, this book kinda got boring about halfway through. They had a bunch of problems to solve...Okay? Well, solve them! I was tired of seeing them run in circles and throw out puzzles that didn't even need to be solved. Lastly, there was so much unresolved in this book. I really hope there is going to be a spin-off series or something to answer all these questions. I just thought things would be wrapped up better, but I guess they can't be if there will be more books added to the Caraval universe. Overall, this was not my favorite ending to a series, but it did have some satisfying parts. I'll read more of what Garber writes, but I'll be skeptical.

Related Books

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily Libra Horoscope September 17 (17/09)

365 Everyday Value, Organic Long Grain White Rice, 32 oz

Daily Aries Horoscope June 27 (27/06)